KPFA and Pacifica are irreplaceable, strategic and transformative resources for amplifying the voices of millions who are overlooked, marginalized or silenced by corporate media in the face of police militarization, racism; and housing, health, water, economic, educational, and environmental depredation. We forge a vital radio station and network by balancing often difficult news reports with programming that heals and facilitates human connections.
AS UCR MEMBERS and LSB REPRESENTATIVES WE WORK TO:
1. Join the global media revolution by:
- Updating KPFA technology so that KPFA reporters can generate news headlines and stories that challenge corporate media’s dominant narratives on the worldwide web.
- Providing free real-time video streaming of demonstrations, rallies and other news events. Offering low-cost access to recorded videos of lectures and other cultural activities.
2. Promote a morning mix of community-sourced, local, daily, prime-time programing– making news together. This includes addressing attacks on immigrants, violence directed at people of color and discrimination based on race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age and disability.
3. Re-establish a program council with decision making authority and broad-based listener and staff participation to evaluate existing programs and new proposals.
4. Counter the influence of corporate political parties’ monopoly on opinion and assert a clear anti-war perspective. Honor the value of drama and humor and include them in our programs.
5. Improve access to resources and training for unpaid staff and provide all staff, paid and unpaid, the right to unionize.
6. Provide a transparent and sustainable budget that aligns spending with actual income: Decrease the number of on air pledge drives. No underwriting or advertising.
7. Participate in a network-wide process to further democratize Pacifica/KPFA and improve financial stability. We are committed to preserving the 5 stations, the national archives and affiliate services.
If you like this Platform, please support UCR’s campaign by making a donation: