KPFA and Pacifica are irreplaceable, strategic and transformative resources for amplifying the voices of millions who are overlooked, marginalized or silenced by corporate media in the face of police militarization, racism; and housing, health, water, economic, educational, and environmental depredation. We forge a vital radio station and network by balancing often difficult news reports with programming that heals and facilitates human connections.
AS UCR MEMBERS and LSB REPRESENTATIVES WE WORK TO:
- Insure Relevant Programming: through a listener and staff based program council with decision making power. Increase community-sourced, local, daily, prime-time programing and podcasts—addressing attacks on immigrants and people of color and discrimination based on race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age and disability. Assert a clear anti-war perspective.
- Decrease pro-corporate perspective: Replace reading of mainstream media newsfeeds with attributed independent news sources including increased Pacifica network program sharing. Counter the influence of corporate political parties’ monopoly on opinion.
- Join the global media revolution:
▪ Make KPFA radio segments searchable on the internet
▪ Provide current audio and video segments, podcasts and livestreaming on the KPFA website and social media resources.
- Support all staff: Improve access to resources and training for unpaid staff and provide all staff, paid and unpaid, the right to unionize.
- Responsible finances: Provide a transparent and sustainable budget that aligns spending with actual income: No corporate underwriting or advertising.
- Strengthen the Pacifica Network: Participate in a network-wide accountability process to financially stabilize and democratize Pacifica and KPFA. We are committed to preserving the 5 stations, the national archives and our relationships with over 200 affiliates worldwide.